LNIV – National Veterinary Research Laboratory
Participate in the design and implementation of research, development and demonstration in the fields of animal health and public hygiene.
Provide laboratory support to ensure MADRP and the national laboratory functions reference for animal diseases and residues in live animals, their food and animal products.
LNIV was created in 1913 following the reorganization of Agricultural and Livestock Service Officers, assigning to the time Pathology Laboratory Veterinary Bacteriology.
The law of 1913 was created for the study and diagnosis of diseases that enzootic and epizootic raged between the different livestock species, with the skills scientific research “there are to be carried out”:
- producing serums, vaccines and diagnostic agents;
- to inspect these products, when imported or prepared particularly;
- conduct bacteriological and other foodstuffs of animal origin;
- prepare virulent cultures to extinction of vermin
Later in 1918 it extended assignments, giving to the institution a complementary action in the training of veterinarians for the Public Service.
In 1936, Decree-Law No. 27207 of November 16, gives new organization to the Ministry of Agriculture, creating the Veterinary Pathology Laboratory of Porto and Évora, and passes the Central, the Laboratory of Lisbon, her guidance technical and scientific of new merchants.
Later, in 1957, they are created in the technique of the so called National Laboratory dependence of Veterinary Research, the Mirandela Laboratories, Viseu, Faro and the Veterinary Services of Fishing Ports.
In 1986, they are transferred to the Agricultural Regional Directorates of the Algarve and of Tras-os-Montes and Alto Douro Laboratories Faro and Mirandela and in 1993, Évora and Viseu respectively for the Alentejo Regional Directorates and Beira Litoral.
Currently the LNIV consists of laboratories in Lisbon and Porto in Vairão.
From the start, it was attributed to this institution a markedly scientific mission that has been maintained or enhanced in the nearly 100 years.
In fact, even today, when it comes to food security, surveillance and control of animal diseases, zoonotic and emerging diseases, there is talk of a chain where all the links are important, and one of these links, in Portugal, is the National laboratory Veterinary Research whose work focuses primarily on: safety and food quality of animal products used for human consumption and used in animal feed and the development of scientific and technical actions towards prevention of otherwise healthy state of animals of interest livestock and pet animals and others, with particular relevance to communicable diseases from animals to man.
The LNIV is still the National Reference Laboratory with an important role in scientific and technical support as it relates to their skills, ensuring public and private laboratories with activities in the same areas.
INIA- National Institute of Agricultural Research
INIA promotes research, experimentation and demonstration in the field of science and technology in agriculture, forestry, food production, agro-forestry and animal, rural development and crop protection as well as in the area of food technologies and biotechnology with applications in the agro-industrial sector and support the development of sectoral policies, developing their scientific and technological bases, ensuring the technical and scientific support conducive to development and innovation in the areas of agriculture, forestry, food production, agro-forestry and animals and rural development.
Its main objectives are:
- Conduct, coordinate and promote studies and projects of scientific research and technological development, according to the plans of annual or multi-annual activities;
- Participate in the development goals set by international organizations, either by themselves or through partnerships with public and private scientific research centers, projects funded for this purpose;
- Providing technical and scientific support to the agri-rural sector and promote the transfer of knowledge for economic operators.
National Institute of Agricultural Research (INIA) was established by Decree-Law No. 539/74 of 12 October and integrated by Ministerial Order of April 24, 1975, research organizations and testing of the Ministry of Agriculture.
However, only after the publication on 28 May 1977, the Organic Law of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries and the Decree # 78/77, of 25 November, it has come to formalize the transfer of such bodies.
Thus, by Decree No. 78/77 of 25 November, carried over to the National Institute for Agricultural Research National Agronomic Station (NAS), the National Animal Production Station (EZN) and the Plant Breeding Station (ENMP), as well the remaining structures of research and testing of the Ministry of Agriculture, including the Forest Research Center, the National Center Wine-studies, the Olive Growing Station, Cultures station Regadas, to rice Station, Maize Improvement Center Agrarian Braga Station, the Experimental Station of Fataca and Mount Experimentation Center of Garlic.
With the exit of the Organic Law of the INIA in 1979 (Decree No. 39-A / 79 of 31 July), came to constitute Operating Services of the Institute, in addition to the EAN, the EZN and ENMP, the National Forestry Station (EFN) and the National Viticultural Station and other research structures of the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, including the National Agrarian Products Technology Station, the Department of Fruit Culture, the Department of Irrigation, the Department of Economic Studies and Sociology Agricultural and Horticulture and Floriculture Department and the Regional Centres for research and development existing in each of the agrarian regions.
Subsequently, through Decree No. 44/81 of 6 October, are transferred to the Department of Fruit Crops, all research and experimental development in the field of fruit production entrusted to the National Center for Studies and Promotion of Fruit Culture and created the National station Fruticultura Vieira Nativity (ENFVN).
In 1983, under new restructuring of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, the National Institute for Agricultural Research goes to contemplate skills under the rural extension and designated by the National Institute for Agricultural Research and Rural Extension (INIAER) and integrating, by Ministerial Order of May 7, 1986, the Agricultural Chemical Laboratory Rebelo da Silva (LQARS).
With Decree-Law No. 310-A / 86, Organic Law of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, it is extinguished the National Institute for Agricultural Research and Rural Extension (INIAER) and created the National Institute for Agricultural Research (INIA) “with view to clarifying the content of agricultural research, releasing the body of extension activities.” In addition to promoting the development and implementation of policy research and experimental development for the agricultural and agro-industrial sector, including in their skills, promotion, coordination and implementation of postgraduate training.
Through 5a Legislative Decree / 88 of January 14, INIA is the first time, with administrative and financial autonomy, acknowledging the “great importance to the provision of services to the community has reached, allowing yourself, in this way, continue a path of self-financing.” It is also defined new structure for the services of the Institute, becoming a member of national research stations and experimental development – the ENIDEs – and national investigation services and experimental development and other scientific and technical activities – the SNIDEs, beyond three departments, and fourteen experimental units.
They were considered ENIDEs the National Agronomic Station, headquartered in Oeiras, the National Animal Production Station, based in Santarém, the National Forestry Station, located in Lisbon, the National Station of Plant Breeding, based in Elvas, the National Viticultural Station , based in Two Harbors, the National Fruticultura Vieira Nativity station, based in Alcobaça and the National Technology of Agrarian Station Products, headquartered in Oeiras.
Integrated the SNIDEs the National Centre for Recognition and Agricultural Planning, based in Lisbon, the National Center for Protection of Agricultural Production, headquartered in Oeiras and Agricultural Chemistry Laboratory Rebelo da Silva, based in Lisbon.
After new restructuring of the Ministry’s structure, INIA and the Institute for Fisheries Research and the Sea (IPIMAR) via a merger, passing in 2002 to integrate the National Institute for Agricultural and Fisheries Research (INIAP), whose mission was to “provide scientific support and advice to the Government in agro-rural areas and fisheries and the sea, in support for the policy, and develop research, technological development and demonstration activities aimed at the improvement of production, the defense of the genetic heritage, preservation of resources and the dissemination of knowledge by economic agents and social actor”.
By Decree-Law No. 209/2006 of 27 October, the INIAP is extinguished and created the National Institute of Biological Resources IP (INRB, IP) as a result of the merger of INIAP with the National Laboratory of Veterinary Research (LNIV) and the integration of functions in the field of General Directorate Research Crop Protection (DGPC). It was also integrated into INRB, IP the Portuguese Plant Germplasm Bank.
By Decree-Law No. 356/2007 of 29 October, it was published the Organic Law of the National Institute of Biological Resources, IP, as well as its statutes (Decree No. 1416/2007 of 30 October). In this new Institute, the Department of Scientific Research Laboratory of Agricultural Research (INIA-L) succeeds the previous INIA.